Wednesday, June 16, 2010

More Encumbrance

First, here's an old character sheet I ran across while digging through old stuff.


That's my crude attempt at a backpack, bag, and figure from ~15 years ago. This was my buddies character. And you can see it doesn't really work, everything is sort of haphazardly jumbled in the backpack. But still an attempt at keeping track of gear encumbrance and location.

Also, I was tallying up the weight of the fastpack I give characters at start of play and ... arrgh, they would all be partially encumbered just by carrying the starting gear!

I don't want to get too hung up on the detail, but I don't want to just completely ignore what they're carrying either. I've been thinking/working on a simple record sheet. Thanks to Roger the GS of Roles, Rules,and Rolls, I looked to the Outdoor Survival counters as models to give players a easy graphic representation of how weight affects movement.

Here are the originals:


Here's what I did with them:


And here are a couple mock ups using the new silhouettes:


An encumbrance movement key.


And encumbrance checkboxes for average human strength (15 pounds per box).

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh very mysterious! i missed your earlier post about why you chose to use 15lb. "stones" is all. are you using b/x encumbrance here and not od&d?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nifty! Thanks for taking my suggestion. If you could somehow graphically work in typical armor weight as a starting point that would be even more useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Bulette, it comes from Delta's post here:

    http://deltasdnd.blogspot.com/2007/04/encumbrance.html

    It was one of the things that got me excited about the osr early on.

    @Roger, I'm assuming you mean a different silhouette and chart for each armor type? I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is seriously awesome. I like Delta's "stone" system too and will steal this sheet right away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't understand the dot, two dot, three dot. Why not just put the movement speed right there in place of dots?

    Merge the two mockups. Using the boxes on the first "horizontal bar chart". Four rows of boxes. Each row == to movement speed/encumbrance level.

    1st row, normal 12", 5 boxes
    2nd row, light 9", 2 boxes
    ...

    my .2 cp's

    ReplyDelete