So I decided to formalize my hireling Articles of Agreement. I'll call it the Oath of Agreement, or the Five Fingers. And in Nidus, hirelings that follow it and expect it to be followed will wear a red sash. I call them guilded, but I imagine Nidus as being too chaotic to have a guild, more like the oath and word of mouth is the power.
During our session, I was role-playing the hireling as resistant, and kept doing reaction rolls, but now if the player is insistent on treating his hired help like something disposable word will get out and no one will work for him. Or their fees will be sky-high.
Here is the Oath:
For 5 gold a day or a half-share of treasure, In good faith I will:
- Obey, knowing it puts neither I nor any innocent at risk.
- Protect you and yours, knowing you will protect me in return.
- Wield gear carefully and well, knowing I will keep it at our journey's end.
- Remain resolute, knowing you will never bewitch me without my consent.
- Stand serene, knowing in the event of the worst, my remains will be returned respectfully along with a quarter-share to my kin.
And here is the pdf with my revised rules for acquiring hirelings.
Thanks to rorschachhamster and JDJarvis, I incorporated your ideas into the revised Articles.